1.Examples of training at US Airways, Starbucks, Boston Pizza and Seattle City Light discussed in Chapter
One demonstrate the role of training in: A.reducing turnover.
B.meeting safety requirements. C.raising morale.
D.gaining a competitive advantage.
A.refers to a seamless training that doesn’t allow learners to break away from the training session.
Brequires employees to understand the entire work system including the relationships among their jobs,
. their work units, and the company.
C.uses an instructional design process to ensure training effectiveness. D.refers only to off-site training.
3.Traditionally, the category of training emphasized by the most companies is: A.basic and advanced skills.
4.Which of the following is not one of the job-related competencies critical for successful job performance?
A. innovation B. knowledge C.skills
5.is linked to strategic goals and objectives and benchmarks its training programs against those of other companies.
A.Total Quality Management training
D.Six Sigma training
6.In the training design process, selection of training methods is the step.
A. first B. third C.final
D.next to final
7.Person and task analysis are part of which step of the training design process?
A.ensuring transfer of training
B.developing an evaluation plan
C.conducting needs assessment
D.monitoring and evaluating the program
8.At what point in the training design process should selection of training methods occur? Directly following:
A.development of an evaluation plan.
C.ensuring transfer of training.
D.development of learning objectives.
9.The acronym ADDIE is most closely associated with: A.high-leverage training.
C.intellectual capital. D.Six Sigma.
10. Which of the following is not a force discussed by Noe as influencing the workplace and training?
A.new laws regulating allocation of training funds in the US B.economic cycles
D.high-performance work systems
11. The process of moving jobs from the United States to other locations in the world is called: A.outsourcing.
12. Noe argues that all but which of the following are reasons offshoring is occurring.
A.U.S. visa laws allow foreign worker in the U.S. for seven years
B.the U.S. graduates fewer U.S. born engineers than China and Japan
C.more talented employees may be available outside the U.S.
D.some countries provide substantial incentives for workers to work in the U.S.
13. All of the following except capital are examples of intangible assets.
B.intellectual C.customer D.social
14. According to a survey of 50,000 employees, percent have high levels of engagement.
15.is not one of the arguments for why greater diversity can help a company gain a competitive advantage.
C.Lower training costs
16.refers to attracting, retaining, developing, and motivating highly skilled employees and managers.
C.Human resource management
17. Companies report the most important talent management challenge they face is: A.identifying and training employees with managerial talent.
B.getting more women and minorities into the company. C.developing programs to retain older workers.
D.obtaining enough new workers with required skills.
18.involve(s) measuring progress with data, designing methods and processes to meet internal and external customers and promoting cooperation with vendors, suppliers and customers.
19. Which of the following categories in the Malcolm Baldrige Award is most closely related to training and development?
B.measurement, analysis and knowledge management
C.work force focus
D.customer and market focus
20.is a set of standards regarding how to establish quality standards and how to document work processes.
C.The Malcolm Baldrige award
21. Trainers with titles including Champions, Black Belts and Green Belts are associated with: A.Six Sigma.
C.Crosby/Deming Quality. D.ISO 10015.
22. The Bureau of Labor Statistics estimates that percent of the workforce consists of alternative work arrangements such as independent contractors.
23.are teams separated by time, culture, organizational boundaries and that rely on technology.
B.High performance work teams
D.Six Sigma teams
24. According to the 2008 ASTD State of the Industry Report, is spent of training per employee.
25. According to the 2008 ASTD State of the Industry Report, is the percentage of dollars spent on training and development as a percentage of payroll.
26. According to the 2004 ASTD Competency Model, which of the following is not one of the four roles of a training professional?
27. Transfer of training refers to successful application of material learned in training to the job.
28. Noe argues in Chapter One that human resources are the most important resource a company uses to gain a competitive advantage.
29. Ensuring transfer of training is the next to last step of the training design process.
30. An advantage of intangible assets is they contribute to a company’s competitive advantage because they are difficult to duplicate or imitate.
31. Employee engagement is affected most by compensation and promotion opportunities.
32. Between 2006 and 2016, the labor force growth rates for Asians and Hispanics is expected to be much faster than for white, non-Hispanics.
33. The labor force participation rate of people 55 and over will decrease between now and 2016.
34. Research shows that performance and learning in most jobs declines to some extent with the aging process.
35. Borders Bookstore’s “passport” program has helped reduce turnover of employees over age 50 and overall turnover.
36. To successfully manage a diverse workforce, managers must be trained to treat workers of different ages, ethnicities and races the same.
37. Companies such as AFLAC and Ernst & Young have developed programs to help employees and managers understand how to interact with workers of different age groups.
38. Noe argues that companies that manage diversity well have an advantage in attracting and retaining talented workers.
39. Due to population growth, projections for employment in 2016 predict the service sector will decline as the goods producing industries expand.
40. Half of the 30 fastest growing occupations require a bachelor’s degree or higher.
41. The retirement of baby boomers in occupations such as health and educational services is likely to have the greatest negative effect on economic growth.
42. An ISBN number is an example of an ISO standard.
43. The most popular method of delivering training is via learning technologies such as CD-ROMs and the intranet.
44. Self-paced online learning is the most frequently used type of technology-based learning.
45. The increased use of technology in delivery of training programs has led to a decrease in the “reuse ratio” since 2003.
46. Human resource development refers to the integrated use of training and development, organizational development and career development to improve individual, group and organization effectiveness. True False
47. The training function is a part of the human resource management department in most large organizations.
48. List and describe the four major forces influencing the workplace and learning.
49. What are the four intangible assets and which can most directly influenced by training and development?
50. List several advantages of using new technologies in training and development.
51. The seven steps of training design process (see Fig. 1.1) are a systematic guide for developing training programs. What are the assumptions underlying use of any instructional system design?
52. Training in the U.S. is a significant industry. How much is spent on training each year, how much time is spent on training and who receives most of the training? Additionally, how is training delivered and how much of training is outsourced?
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more