Healthcare Financial Management and Economics
Week 10 Assignment — Capital Budgeting
There are many options to buy capital, including cash purchases, loans, leasing, and other forms of payment. Your goal as a healthcare manager is to determine which method is best for your organization, given its financial and organizational structure (i.e., for-profit or not-for-profit). Time value of money and net present value are two techniques that may help you determine how and when to invest in new capital. For this Assignment, you examine these concepts as they pertain to the healthcare industry.
To prepare for this Assignment:
Review this week’s Learning Resources. Reflect on concepts of time value of money, net present value, internal rate of return, and purchasing options.
Using an Excel spreadsheet to show your work, answer the following questions:
1. If a physician deposits $24,000 today into a mutual fund that is expected to grow at an annual rate of 8%, what will be the value of this investment:
a. 3 years from now
b. 6 years from now
c. 9 years from now
d. 12 years from now
2. The Chief Financial Officer of a hospital needs to determine the present value of $120,000 investment received at the end of year 5. What is the present value if the discount rate is:
3. Calexico Hospital plans to invest $1.8 million in a new MRI machine. The MRI will be depreciated over its 5-year economic life to a $200,000 salvage value. Additional revenues attributed to the new MRI will be in the amount of $1.5 million per year for 5 years. Additional operating expenses, excluding depreciation expense, will amount to $1 million per year for 5 years. Over the life of the machine, net working capital will increase by $30,000 per year for 5 years.
a. Assuming that the hospital is a non-profit entity, what is the project’s net present value (NPV) at a discount rate of 8%, and what is the project’s IRR?
b. Assuming that the hospital is a for-profit entity and the tax rate is 30%, what is the project’s NPV at a cost of capital of 8%, and what is the project’s IRR?
4. Marshall Healthcare System, a not-for-profit hospital, is planning on opening an imaging center including MRI, x-ray, ultrasound, and CT. The new center will generate $3 million per year in revenues for 5 years. Expected operating expenses, excluding depreciation, would increase expenses by $1.2 million per year for the next 5 years. The initial capital investment outlay for the project is $5.5 million, which will be depreciated on a straight line basis to a savage value. The salvage value in year 5 is $800,000. The cost of capital for this project is 12%.
a. Compute the NPV in the IRR to determine the financial feasibility of the project.
5. Penn Medical Center, a for-profit hospital, is considering the purchase of a new 64-slice CT scanner. The cost of the new scanner is $4 million and will be depreciated over 10 years on a straight line basis to $0 savage value. The tax rate is 40%. The financing options include either borrowing the full cost of the scanner or leasing a scanner. The lease option is a 5-year lease with equal before-tax lease payments of $950,000 per year. The borrowing alternative is a 5-year loan covering the entire cost of the scanner at an interest rate of 5%. The after-tax cost of debt is 3%. Should Penn Medical lease the equipment or borrow the money?
Why Choose Us
We value our clients. For this reason, we ensure that each paper is written carefully as per the instructions provided by the client. Our editing team also checks all the papers to ensure that they have been completed as per the expectations.
Professional Academic Writers
Over the years, our Acme Homework has managed to secure the most qualified, reliable and experienced team of writers. The company has also ensured continued training and development of the team members to ensure that it keep up with the rising Academic Trends.
Our prices are fairly priced in such a way that ensures affordability. Additionally, you can get a free price quotation by clicking on the "Place Order" button.
We pay strict attention on deadlines. For this reason, we ensure that all papers are submitted earlier, even before the deadline indicated by the customer. For this reason, the client can go through the work and review everything.
At Essay Writing Help, all papers are plagiarism-free as they are written from scratch. We have taken strict measures to ensure that there is no similarity on all papers and that citations are included as per the standards set.
Customer Support 24/7
Our support team is readily available to provide any guidance/help on our platform at any time of the day/night. Feel free to contact us via the Chat window or support email: email@example.com.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
Essay Writing Help has stood as the world’s leading custom essay writing services providers. Once you enter all the details in the order form under the place order button, the rest is up to us.
At Essay Writing Help, we prioritize on all aspects that bring about a good grade such as impeccable grammar, proper structure, zero-plagiarism and conformance to guidelines. Our experienced team of writers will help you completed your essays and other assignments.
Admission and Business Papers
Be assured that you’ll definitely get accepted to the Master’s level program at any university once you enter all the details in the order form. We won’t leave you here; we will also help you secure a good position in your aspired workplace by creating an outstanding resume or portfolio once you place an order.
Editing and Proofreading
Our skilled editing and writing team will help you restructure you paper, paraphrase, correct grammar and replace plagiarized sections on your paper just on time. The service is geared toward eliminating any mistakes and rather enhancing better quality.
We have writers in almost all fields including the most technical fields. You don’t have to worry about the complexity of your paper. Simply enter as much details as possible in the place order section.